Let's Talk About Food

Food. I love food. I mean, who doesn't? Going into this direction for weight loss surgery, I "understood" that throughout my life I had developed a few bad eating habits. I had to speak with a psychologist a couple times for insurance purposes before I could proceed with the surgery.
So, I went in and spoke about my family and our relationship to food. Grandpa would always push for a clean plate. I mean, he grew up during the depression, so it made sense not to waste food. Our family would also use food to celebrate special events. If all the family was in town, going out to eat or having a big meal together was how we would fellowship. Plus, if I had a rough day going to the dentist or whatever, we might go get a milkshake. But we also used food as a reward if I made the honor roll. So, I thought I understood part of the reason food was so important to me.

Well, it's one thing to realize these ideas are true and another to come face to face with them on this liver reduction diet. The first couple days weren't too hard. I drank my protein shakes slowly (about 4-5 swallows every 5 mins helped me to feel full). I drank LOTS of water. Then came day 3. It was a rough day at work. We didn't do as well as we needed with sales and my spirit was down. I came home and found that I needed to eat. I wanted comfort food sooo bad. Luckily, this being my first surgery coming up, I realized that I could not and would not cheat. I sat there and cried. I was emotionally tired and couldn't revert back to comfort eating. I knew this was a positive realization. But that didn't make it any easier. I ended up taking a warm bath and going to bed early.

The next day I was better. I guess I just needed to work past that first hurdle. Over the next week, there were rough moments when I really wanted to eat great food I wo yoo ld smell. But again, I realized that just because something smells good and makes my mouth water, does not mean that I'm hungry or that I have to eat it. I know, these realizations may be basic knowledge for those not struggling with bad eating habits or weight issues. But I think these are important for each of us to discover for ourselves when we are ready to listen to that inner voice. You have to be mentally and spiritually ready to change. I am going stronger each day and I know with my Lord's help, I will transform into the man I am supposed to be.

Until next time.....

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. No big changes come easy. But this will be worth it in the long run.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starting a new Path

Starting to Eat Again!

Things to Watch Out For