Starting a new Path

Ok. I'm new to this whole blog thing, but I want to record my journey towards becoming healthier.

So, a bit about me. I am currently 40 years old. I have been fluffy for the majority of my life at different levels, but I was 365lbs and could never keep the weight off. So after speaking to many friends who have had weight loss surgeries, I decided it was time for me.

I am a hard working husband. My wife blesses me by being a homeschool Mom for our 3 kiddos. I have an 11 year old daughter, 6 year old daughter, and a 3 year old son who mean the world to me. I want to get healthy and live longer for myself and my family.

I decided on the Gastric Bypass surgery for myself. Some of my friends have had the sleeve and I was really leaning that way, but my doctor explained how the bypass is better for people who have acid reflux issues. So, like I said before, I was 365 lbs. I had to start a liver reduction diet 2 weeks before surgery.

The liver reduction diet is HARD. I mean, anyone at my weight knows that we have spent years eating all the wrong things and way to much. The diet is necessary to help het the liver out of the way of operating on the stomach. It consists of mainly 3 protein shakes throughout the day and at least 64 oz or more water. I can also have broth, sugar free popsicles, Gatoraid G2, and a couple other possible liquids.

So, I was doing really well I thought for the first 5 days. I decided I would only do the water and protein shakes. I like water now, so why add in Gatoraid or anything else, right? Bad choice.

On the 5th night, my body rebelled. I walked into the bathroom and my hearing started to sound muffled and I started to get dizzy. I sat down and called for my wife, J. I started to feel nautios too. I don't really remember the next few minutes, but J filled me in. I was completely out of it. Barely responsive. She thought that maybe my blood sugar was low. She tested and it was fine. Got me a small drink of apple juice. She says that I got super white and my hands were clenched for about a minute. I finally started to come to, but she didn't know what to think. Stroke? Heart problem? Seizure? So she woke the 3 kiddos up at 1130pm and got them dressed and took me to the ER.

5 hours later, and we learned that I was dehydrated and my Potassium was way low. I had been drinking 80-100 oz of water! How could I be dehydrated? Well, my body needed that potassium and electrolytes. I discovered I cannot make it on water alone. So I changed my daily diet to include the Gatoraid and a Potassium pill.

Good news! I went into my bariatric office on day 7 of my diet. Halfway there! I found out that since the last time I had been in there and weighed myself, 9 days, I had lost 15 lbs! Down to 342 with the few pounds I had lost the few weeks before included! This really helped me refocus and prepare myself for the next 7 days until surgery.

More news to come......

Captain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting to Eat Again!

Things to Watch Out For