Use Your Tools- 3 Weeks Post Opp


Use Your Tools. This sounds like a cliché, but seriously, do some research and find the tools you need. This will make a huge difference in starting to get healthy and continuing to evolve into the person you want to become.

First off, check out the Bariatric app. I have been using this app since pre-surgery. It truly is a great app. It allows me to keep track of so many important things. It can track my weight loss, daily Protein intake, ounces of water drank, inches lost, use a journal, log everything you eat throughout the day, set reminder alarms for taking meds, and even will link to Fitbit.

Get a Fitbit. Really. I never thought that I would get one. But I LOVE it now. Don't get me wrong, some may be fine with their smart watches. I work in the wireless biz, and would love to sell you any type of smart watch, but I personally believe that those work best for text, phone calls, and notifications. For accurate step counts and reminders of getting your steps in throughout the day, Fitbit wins for me. Plus, as I said above, it can connect to the Baritastic app where a Samsung or Apple Watch cannot. Again, do some research to see what works best for you. I ended up with the a Fitbit Alta, love how I can still use as a watch for time and get the reminders to hit my hourly step goals.

If you have a family with some kiddos, remember that when your are making these changes for yourself, you have to find ways to include them too. Yes, you could do it on your own and get great results, but if you include everyone in your family then hopefully the kids won't have to go through this same journey in the future. Talk with them about how you have to not drink while eating. Show them how to take a bite, set their utensils down, savor the taste while chewing, and then pause in between step. Teach them how it takes time for you to realize that you have eaten enough. You don't have to eat every bite on your plate. You can learn to ask for less in the future. We have discovered a great park not too far away from where we live. We start off with the kids walking with us on the trail around the park, then they can play on the playground while we keep moving. Sometimes we take turns walking around the playground while my wife and I can continue on the real trail at a brisker pace. Our kids want their own fitness trackers now! We have recently found the UNICEF Kid Power Bands. We are pretty sure this is what we are going to invest in for the kiddos. They will count steps, work as a watch, and they will even be helping malnourished kids around the world. Great way to help them think of staying healthy, active, and helping others.


For me personally, I am really proud of my start on the journey to becoming healthy. At 3 weeks post-opp, I have lost a total of 50 lbs from my highest weight. I lost 27 lbs pre-surgery and 23 over the past 3 weeks. I still have a long way to go, but now I KNOW that  I can do this. This is the start of a great future for me and my family and I'm so excited! Until next time.....

Comments

  1. I had a Fitbit one, then a Fitbit Zip. Both fell off my clothing and were lost. Bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR + just before Easter. Love it! Synced with My Fitness Pal app. Gives lots of data on many topics. Recharges quickly with USB type cord. Got over 18,000 steps the day we walked down a volcano! Couldn't have done that a year ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started following your blog after meeting you today at the meeting. I had my sleeve dome May 3rd, so i am just ahead of you at 8 weeks now. you are doing amazing! keep up the great work! if you have any questions since we are so close together, please feel free to ask, we all need to be here for each other!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starting a new Path

Starting to Eat Again!

Things to Watch Out For